TABLE OF CONTENTS
Manuscript Collection No. 535
In 1864, the Hebrew Benevolent Association was formed to provide a burial place for Civil War soldiers. This became the first organization of Knoxville Jewry. The Association joined the Union of American Hebrew Congregations in 1875, and voted to become a congregation in 1877, naming themselves Beth El.
Minutes; together with minutes of the Hebrew Benevolent Association (1869-1889).
Terms of Access and Use
The Temple Beth El (Knoxville, Tenn.) Records are open to all users. The original manuscript collection is available in the Barrows-Loebelson Reading Room of the Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives.
Property and Literary Rights
Property rights are held by the American Jewish Archives. Literary rights are retained by the Temple Beth El (Knoxville, Tenn.). Literary rights may also be retained by specific creators of materials.
Questions concerning rights should be addressed to the Executive Director of the American Jewish Archives. For more information see the American Jewish Archives copyright information webpage.
The Temple Beth El (Knoxville, Tenn.) Records include microfilm. The microfilm may be a duplicate of the collection or include different materials. See MF-3639. Microfilm is available through inter-library loan.
Donor information for the Temple Beth El (Knoxville, Tenn.) Records is not available.
Processed by American Jewish Archives staff.
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the AJA's online catalog.
Jews -- Tennessee -- Knoxville -- Charities
Jews -- Tennessee -- Knoxville -- Societies, etc
Temple Beth El (Knoxville, Tenn.)