A Finding Aid to the
Cincinnati, Ohio -- Congregation Agudath Achim (Roselawn Synagogue) Records
Manuscript Collection No. 732
1952-2006. .4 Linear ft.
ACCESS AND PROVENANCE
CINCINNATI, OHIO — CONGREGATION AGUDATH ACHIM (ROSELAWN SYNAGOGUE) RECORDS were donated to the American Jewish Archives by the Roselawn Synagogue in June 2006.
All property rights have been assigned to the American Jewish Archives. All literary rights to materials in the collection are held by the individual author or his/her heirs. Questions concerning rights should be addressed to the Director of the American Jewish Archives. The collection is open to all users and available in the reading room of the American Jewish Archives.
INSTITUTIONAL SKETCH top
The Cincinnati, Ohio — Roselawn Synagogue (Agudath Achim) is an Orthodox congregation that was incorporated on May 22, 1952. In 1948, Adath Israel vacated a building (an old movie theatre) on Reading Road which was then taken over by another congregation that took the name “Roselawn Synagogue.”
The first spiritual leader was Hyman Cohen of South Bend, Indiana. He was followed by Rabbi Marvin Neddle. Needle was followed by Rabbi Max Newman, who had served as the Eduacational Director for Adath Israel. Rabbi Newman was succeeded by Rabbis Avraham Avnit, Avram H. Herzog, and the present spiritual leader, Amiel R. Kaissar.
Though once a thriving congregation, membership has rapidly declined over the years. One reason for the decline stems from the younger generation leaving the Roselawn area of Cincinnati. This decline led to the synagogue moving into the Essex House on Reading Road in 2000. Sadly, this new home would only last six more years. Citing financial difficulties and declining members, Roselawn Synagogue closed in June 2006.
SCOPE AND CONTENT top
The CINCINNATI, OHIO—ROSELAWN SYNAGOGUE RECORDS consists primarily of administrative and miscellaneous material. Included in the collection are board minutes, bulletins, Aliyah Record, social activities. The collection is divided into two (2) series:
· SERIES A: ADMINISTRATIVE
· SERIES B: MISCELLANEOUS
SERIES A: Administrative consists of the congregation's incorporation constitution, board minutes and membership roster. The span dates are 1952-2006 with the bulk being 2000-2006.
SSERIES B: Miscellaneous consists of weekly synagogue bulletins, Aliyah Records, various social activities and photographs of past presidents and a Sisterhood gathering. The span dates are 1958-2005 with the bulk being 1993-2005.
BOX AND FOLDER LIST topBox Folder Contents SERIES A: ADMINISTRATIVE 1 1 Incorporation/Constitution. 1952. 2 Minutes. 1991, 1999-2006. 3 Membership Roster. 1989-1991. SERIES B: MISCELLANEOUS 4 Bulletins. 1984, 1994-2005. 5 Bulletins. Draft. 1993. 6 Bulletins. Draft. 1997. 7 Aliyah Record. Part 1. 1991. 8 Aliyah Record. Part 2. 1987-1989. 9 Book of Life & Memorial Service. 1991-2005. 10 Mr. & Mrs. Club Minutes. 1958-1959. 11 Sisterhood Dinner Luncheon. 1976, 1988. 12 Photographs. n. d. *One original photograph in File 12 is oversize and located in FF C4/D6.
Copyright © 2006 Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives