TABLE OF CONTENTS
Manuscript Collection No. 832
Funding, in part, for the arrangement and description of this collection was provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Charles H. Elias was born to Ruth and Edward D. Elias on August 14, 1918 in Okolona, Mississippi. His father worked in the mercantile business until the Great Depression years, then served as city clerk for approximately ten years. Elias graduated in the late 1930s from Mississippi State College with a degree in geology, and the entire family moved to Little Rock, Arkansas in 1940.
Elias served for four years with the Army Air Corps in World War II. He returned to Little Rock and joined his father and brother in founding the Tri-States Construction Company, which was responsible for building several major projects in the state; their work included the North Little Rock High School gym, a few buildings on the campus of the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, and the Governor’s Mansion in Little Rock. Elias served as construction foreman and did some of the work on his own, such as the finishing carpentry work.
In 1959, Elias left the family business to oversee building projects for the Little Rock architect firm of Eichenbaum, Rauh and Blass. When he retired in the mid-1970s, he devoted much of his free time to collecting antique guns and cartridges, becoming an authority on the subject and publishing articles and books about his collection. He passed away in Little Rock, Arkansas, on March 22, 1999.
--Adapted from http://www.digital.butlercenter.org/cgi-bin/showfile.exe?CISOROOT=/findingaids&CISOPTR=191&filename=192.xml (accessed on November 15, 2011).
Collection consisting of documents and photographs, primarily for the Elias family of Little Rock, Arkansas. Also includes materials on the Levin, Lyons, Siler, Fraley, Eichenbaum, Gish, Rubel, Morris, Nadel and Jacobs families.
This collection is arranged in one (1) series.
Terms of Access and Use
This collection is open to all users. The original manuscript collection is available in the Barrows-Loebelson Reading Room of the Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives.
Property and Literary Rights
Charles H. Elias, by the act of donating the Elias Family Papers to the American Jewish Archives, assigned all property rights to the American Jewish Archives. Literary rights are retained by the Elias family and their heirs. Literary rights may also be retained by specific creators of materials.
Questions concerning rights should be addressed to the Executive Director of the American Jewish Archives. For more information see the American Jewish Archives copyright information webpage.
Charles H. Elias Papers. MSS 97-16. Butler Center for Arkansas Studies, Central Arkansas Library System, 100 Rock St., Little Rock, AR 72201. http://www.digital.butlercenter.org/cgi-bin/showfile.exe?CISOROOT=/findingaids&CISOPTR=191&filename=192.xml
Footnotes and bibliographic references should refer to the Elias Family Papers and the American Jewish Archives. A suggestion for at least the first citation is as follows:
[Description], [Date], Box #, Folder #. MS-832. Elias Family Papers. American Jewish Archives, Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Elias Family Papers were received from Charles H. Elias, Little Rock, Ark, in 1994.
Processed by Kevin Proffitt, October 2011.
This collection was arranged and described according to minimal-processing standards. Funding, in part, for the arrangement and description of this collection was provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the American Jewish Archives's online catalog.
Persons and Families
United States. National Historical Publications and Records Commission
Little Rock (Ark.)
Genres and Forms