TABLE OF CONTENTS
Manuscript Collection No. 862
Funding, in part, for the arrangement and description of this collection was provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Eugene Jay Lipman was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on October 13, 1919. He attended the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Cincinnati before being ordained by Hebrew Union College in 1943.
Lipman was rabbi of Temple Sinai in Washington, D.C. from June 1961 to July 1985, after which he served as rabbi emeritus. He had previously performed rabbinical duties at Temple Beth El in Fort Worth, Texas, and Temple Emanuel in Mansfield, Ohio. Lipman was an army chaplain from 1944 to 1946—aiding displaced persons in Germany until 1948—and again in 1950 and 1951 at the start of the Korean War.
He was director of the B’nai B’rith Foundation at the University of Washington in Seattle (1949-1951), director of Synagogue Activities (1951-1961) and the Commission on Social Action (1953-1961) for the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, and president of the Central Conference of American Rabbis (1987-1989). Lipman also taught at the Southwestern Baptist Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas, and at Harvard University, Columbia University, the American University and Catholic University in Washington, DC.
Lipman authored several books—including Justice and Judaism, A Tale of Ten Cities, The Rabbi in Secular Society, and The Mishnah Oral Teachings of Judaism—as well as contributions to a variety of publications.
He married Esther Marcuson in 1943 and had three children, Michael, Jonathan, and David. Eugene J. Lipman died on January 14, 1994
Articles, sermons, course material for classes both taught and taken, Temple Sinai records, and notes from organizations. Notable correspondents include Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (St. Augustine civil rights), Cesar Chavez, and Justice Arthur Goldberg. The correspondence file, “Dear People,” contains periodic updates on the activities of the Lipman family.
This collection is arranged in three (3) series:
Terms of Access and Use
This collection is open to all users. The original manuscript collection is available in the Barrows-Loebelson Reading Room of the Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives.
Property and Literary Rights
Esther M. Lipman, by the act of donating the Eugene J. Lipman Papers to the American Jewish Archives, assigned all property rights to the American Jewish Archives. Literary rights are retained by the heirs of Eugene J. Lipman. Literary rights may also be retained by specific creators of materials.
Questions concerning rights should be addressed to the Executive Director of the American Jewish Archives. For more information see the American Jewish Archives copyright information webpage.
Lipman, Eugene J. Photographs. PC-2673.
Lipman, Eugene J. A History of Organized Philanthropy in the United States. 1943. SC-14224.
Lipman, Eugene J. Letter. February 1948. SC-7280.
Lipman, Eugene J. Memoir. 1944-1947. SC-7281.
Lipman, Eugene J. Sermon, February 27, 1970. TR-748.
Footnotes and bibliographic references should refer to the Eugene J. Lipman Papers and the American Jewish Archives. A suggestion for at least the first citation is as follows:
[Description], [Date], Box #, Folder #. MS-862. Eugene J. Lipman Papers. American Jewish Archives, Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Eugene J. Lipman Papers were received from Esther M. Lipman, Chevy Chase, Maryland in December 2004.
Processed by Elisa Ho, April 2012.
This collection was arranged and described according to minimal-processing standards. Funding, in part, for the arrangement and description of this collection was provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the AJA Online Catalog.
Persons and Families
Chavez, Cesar, 1927-1993
Goldberg, Arthur J.
King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968
Levin, Aryeh, 1885-1969
Lipman, Eugene J.
Central Conference of American Rabbis
Hebrew Union College
Temple Sinai (Washington, D.C.)
Union of American Hebrew Congregations
United States. National Historical Publications and Records Commission